A Way With Worlds
World Creation Column
All works copyright 1999-2001 by
unless otherwise noted
Your Main Character
- Why your setting
your main character.
It's The Little Things That Count
- What you need to know to build a good world.
IN THE BEGINNING . . . there was a lot of planning
- Origins of worlds.
Intelligent Life and Culture
- Who's in your setting?
Magic and Technology
- They may work different, but setting-wise they're the same thing, and important.
Pyramids of Power
- Influence, action, and effect in your world.
Getting a Vision
- The warm-and-fuzzy issue of getting a feel for your world.
Your World Is In Danger!
- The importance of preserving data in worldbuilding
Retcon as Continuity
- Turning screw-ups into actual plots.
The Fanfic Rebellion
- Why fanfic sometimes takes odd turns, and what you can learn from it.
- Except in some cases, the concept of 'attitude' can give you a bad one.
- When you need ideas.
Webbing your World #1
- A crash course in web development (somewhat dated) for putting your world and works on the web.
Webbing Your World #2: Getting fancy and getting involved
- Going beyond simple pages (somewhat dated)
Webbing your World #3: What goes into your webbed world
- Good page design and philosophy.
Writing Religion in your Continuity
- Writing religion in a way that works.
Webbing Your World #4: The Revenge of Whoever
- By popular request, a column on making your web world's design work for visitors.
Getting Readership for your Continuity
- The evils of pandering.
Readership on your terms
- Getting readers for your world.
Creating New Religions
- Spirituality from scratch.